02 June 2014

(Untitled)

There is so much that I want to write about!  So many posts that have been floating around in my head.  A post about Ulysses.  A post signing me up to read Moby-Dick.  A post about where I've been the past couple of weeks.  A post about how I've really been thinking about this blog and how I feel kind of stunted and want to make changes, but I am not entirely sure which changes I want to make (I definitely want to keep the blog and make it better).  It's funny--not in a haha way--how through blogging I have met some of my absolute favorite people and many of them are moving on from their initial identities as bloggers and blossoming into something else...but I just feel kind of stuck in the past, when I really want to be moving forward too.

I guess the easier post is to write is the personal post.  I can get to the books later, right?

So, Zach was out of town for two and a half weeks.  I missed him so, so much and at times had a really hard time with him being gone.  I was just in a funk and nothing really seemed to help.  I tried to keep busy, so I didn't have to think about him being gone, but that wasn't always easy.  I read quite a bit.  Unfortunately, it wasn't focused reading, so I made a lot of progress on a number of books, but didn't finish anything.  Now I'm working on trying to catch my tail in terms of reading, but am still wanting to read new books.  I need to slow down and focus, I know, before I write another one of those "I am so frustrated with my reading!" posts.

A really good thing, I think, came out of Zach being gone--I worked up the courage to try going to the yoga studio downtown and I absolutely loved it!  I went to a 90 minute heated Ashtanga yoga class because I thought it would be a nice challenge.  I have never sweat so much in my life!  And I played soccer for 9 years.  But it was amazing.  I had to skip a few vinyasas, but I wasn't really winded, so that was good.  I also wasn't super sore afterwards, which was also good.  I know this will sound corny, but I felt radiant afterwards.  All of this tells that I made a good decision.  I just need to keep going twice a week, which isn't really easy because that ties up my evenings (and those are just never long enough to begin with).

I am starting a 30-day yoga challenge.  It's really the culmination of a lot of things.  Honestly, I've been missing yoga.  I like the flow and the peace and how I get to be in my head (but also not in my head).  Then I was reading an issue of Yoga Journal and I saw that the editor was challenging herself to do #yogaeverydamnday in June.  Sign me up!  I want to get that habit started!  I kept gravitating towards yoga related things.  Then I found this new website--doyouyoga.com--and I came across the challenge.  30 days.  20 minutes or less every day.  The instructor is relatable and funny and doesn't take things too seriously.  I appreciate all of that.  I am looking at the challenge as an opportunity to get in the habit of doing something that I love doing.  If I wind up losing a couple of inches in the process or losing some weight or radically changing my life in the process, so be it.  That's just a bonus.

I am also doing the 30-day abs challenge that circulated on Facebook because it looks doable as well.

In addition to my short efforts in the mornings (yoga challenge and abs challenge), I want to do the evening yoga twice a week and add in some walking.  But we'll see.  I have a very busy couple of weeks coming up and I don't want to overwhelm myself.


Food has been a struggle lately.  I'm in that "wanting to eat healthier, but not really sure what that means for my life" phase.  I've been buying food that is healthy, but that I don't really like.  No matter how hard I try, I will never be the girl who likes eating a salad for lunch.  Ditto with sandwiches.  I am kind of a picky eater, so there are not a lot of vegetables that I want.  I eat both breakfast and lunch at my work, but I find that I can either make a good breakfast or a good lunch or neither.  Very rarely do I pull off both.  I need a grab and go routine, but I also need variety otherwise I won't eat what I bring.  It's a weird paradox, I know.  I'm working on it though.

The whole thing is a lot of trial and error.  But the main thing for me is that I don't want to stress.  I want an exercise routine that is forgiving, so if I miss a day or two it's not the end of the world.  I want my diet (as in "normal way of eating") to make me happy and feel good, not feel bad.

I have made progress in the getting healthier arena.  I was able to buy dresses and pants in smaller sizes this weekend and I was ecstatic!  Fortunately, two of those dresses are for my uncle's rehearsal dinner and wedding, so at least I can stop worrying about that.  Now I just need to find shoes.  But my mom and I discusses colors and styles to go with each dress, so I just have to look.  I hate shopping with a purpose though.  That's a guarantee that I will find nothing.  That's a universal law, I think.

I am focusing my efforts on making things less stressful.  I need less stress.  I need simple.  I need fun.  Isn't that what summer is about?  I am at the point where if something or someone causes me stress or unhappiness, I avoid the situation.  I don't want to deal with it, I don't want to fight it.  I just want to focus on easy right now.

And that leads me to my blog.  I don't feel like this space is currently serving me, so I've been avoiding it.  I don't want to get rid of the blog.  But I want to refine and kind of expand the focus.  I love books, to be sure, but I also love cooking and I love having a space to write about my life.  So I am going to be thinking about making some changes.  If anyone has any ideas or tips on how to go about planning a blog (like write about your own experiences), I would love to hear them.

It feels good to get that out there.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hate yoga. Pretty much the only yoga I've done, though is P90X yoga - and it is intense. 90 minutes and just... gah. I think I would like the relaxing, meditative kind of yoga, but "workout" yoga is not my thing. I also hate pilates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's what I've figured out about blogging - I'm not in it to make money and I don't care about my stats. So it's my blog and I can do whatever I want with it. So most of mine is still about books but I throw in personal stuff and stuff about where I live and maybe, one day, I'll even start talking about cooking. Or decorating. Or gardening. Whatever. One thing I know I won't do is try to stick to a schedule because I just don't want that pressure. Your title doesn't say "this is a blog about books," it says "this is a blog about my life." So write about yoga, and books, and what you're trying for healthier eating. Whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete